SSVF Housing Case Manager
Company: Volunteers of America Chesapeake
Location: Rocky Mount
Posted on: June 6, 2021
Case Management Role
Provide day-to-day support and services for participating
veteran households. Has relevant experience in homelessness
prevention, rapid re-housing and transitional supportive
Provide key linkages for clients beginning at their intake and
assessment following through to their attainment or maintenance of
permanent housing in their home community. The position will
promote accessibility, outreach to targeted populations, and
provide case management, advocacy and wraparound supports and
services in the community.
Housing Specialist Role
Assist low-income Veteran households with identifying and
obtaining or retaining safe, stable and affordable permanent
housing. Outreach to rental-property owners and other resources in
the community. Establish a pool of rental properties in our service
areas to then rapidly rehouse homeless Veterans as well as their
families. Work with landlords to negotiate rent or move-in deposits
on behalf of the Veteran household. Also responsible for conducting
SSVF intake and eligibility assessments, working with the Veteran
household to develop a Housing Stability Plan, and identifying and
resolving issues as they relate to housing stability.
A bachelor's degree in counseling psychology, rehabilitative
counseling, or related human service field is required. A minimum
of two years' experience working with homeless individuals and
families including veterans is preferred. Veteran or member of a
veteran family is a plus.
- This position requires driving your personal vehicle for
company business. Must be privileged to drive according to the
criteria set forth by Agency MVR guidelines.
- Valid driver's license in jurisdiction of residence
- Vehicle liability coverage if driving personal vehicle (on
occasion, may be required to transport clients in personal
- May be required to drive a van
- Acceptable Criminal background check, OIG Exclusion check
- Negative Drug Screening
- CPR/First Aid Certification must be acquired and maintained
- Coordinate outreach efforts for the SSVF Program including but
not limited to: establish an outreach plan to target the three
categories of participants as outlined in the SSVF program
guidelines, develop a set schedule to visit the VA, shelters, and
other places that homeless and low-income veteran families are
likely to congregate, and develop communication/ updates with the
VA and other key housing and community providers.
- Screen potential program participants for program eligibility
using VA-approved forms and follow up with applicable agencies to
verify information including veteran and income status.
- Conduct housing and comprehensive supportive services
assessments for program participants and develop a comprehensive
Family Services Plan.
- Provide service coordination between the program and community
partners, for persons served and their families/supporters.
- Work with persons served, family members, collaborating housing
agencies and professionals to revise service plans and to develop
placement, stabilization and follow-up plans.
- Provide or arrange for housing support and wraparound services
including connections to all eligible VA and mainstream resources
to support transition to or maintenance of permanent housing.
- Travel to housing sites to support persons served, monitor
progress and address any health, behavioral or life skills
- Communicate effectively (under confidentiality rules) with
client's service team to rapidly address and correct issues with
services or supports - especially living skills, employment,
education, family and socialization.
- Ensure appropriate use of and documentation of any temporary
- Ensure that veterans and their families receive services that
support rapid re-housing; addressing assessed needs, promoting
healthy decision-making, securing financial independence and
promoting relationships at home in the community.
- Ensure participant category reassessments are completed
according to specific SSVF requirements.
- Participate in program and professional supervision, attend
required staff and Project
- Management Team meetings and trainings, and contribute to
team-based collaborative planning.
- Complete all appropriate reporting in HMIS and other systems as
- Complete other duties as needed and requested.
- Assists homeless veterans and families in identifying and
transitioning into a full range of permanent housing and will act
as a liaison between the client, Housing Authority, landlords, and
The physical requirements described below are representative of
those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made
to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
- The ability to safely operate a motor vehicle to transport
oneself, consumers, and program supplies as necessary.
- The physical ability to travel to assigned locations, stand,
stoop, bend, reach, pull, push, lift, grasp, climb, talk, see, hear
and perform basic and light home maintenance activities, and
operate office equipment.
- Move and lift light objects up to 30 pounds such as mail,
supplies, files, and equipment.
- Operating office equipment requiring continuous or repetitive
- The ability to remain in a sitting position for extended
periods of time.
EFFECTS ON END RESULTS:
Veteran housing, employment, family, social support and life-skill
issues are rapidly addressed and supports and services are amended
or adjusted as required to ensure maintaining housing, economic
stability or attainment of benefits, and socialization of veteran
and family in their home community. Veterans receive appropriate
transition and service plans and supports. Client file
documentation is complete and timely. Statistical information is
documented and reported.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or
contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or
responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with
or without notice.
Keywords: Volunteers of America Chesapeake, Rocky Mount , SSVF Housing Case Manager, Other , Rocky Mount, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!